How does your local church relate to it’s surrounding cultures and sub-cultures?
1) The “Bomb-shelter” Church
- Culture is bad and church is safe
- “We” versus “Them” language used
- Classic Fundamentalism
2) The “Mirror” Church
- The church reflects the surrounding culture
- Cultural values overrule God’s Word
- Classic Liberalism
3) The “Parasitic Consumer” Church
- The church uses the culture and community
- The church only takes from the culture.
- (Could be either Fundamentalism or Liberalism)
4) The “City-within-a-City” Church
- The Church reflects God’s Word
- The Church engages the culture and community
- The Church serves the culture and community
- The Church offers an “alternative Way of life”
- The Church is a “Boot Camp” for training Christians in worshipful, cross-centred thinking which leads to transformed (and continually transforming) lives, able to articulate and incarnate the Gospel, revealing the Gospel’s relevance in everyday life.
Which church is yours most like?
Which are you most like?